Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Young Hawk Goes Wild!


Today the young hawk goes wild!  He is ......

climbing and flying all around in the trees nearby the nest tree.

When I first arrived at the nest, the young hawk was in a tree beside the nest. Then he flew to below the nest and climbed up his back ladder of branches which is how he jumps in. When he jumped in the back of the nest, the three eaglets hopped back to where he was and there was a tussle of some kind, could not see it. There was  lot of yelling and screaming by all the kids or I should say hawk/eaglets.  The mother eagle was sitting on a tree nearby.



The mother eagle flew immediately over to a branch over the nest and gave eaglets a very stern talking to with many high-pitched calls and head-raised warning about behavior.  It became very quiet after that.


Then all was fine, the eaglets appeared from the back of the nest, walking with their funny jerky walk and little hawk appeared to be just fine and wandered around on the nest a bit and he hopped onto a branch.  Mom eagle felt her job was done and left them alone.


The eaglets starting doing this in the picture above.  They were all three exercising their wings in the lovely summer breeze off the ocean. You can always tell where the hawk is as he is very verbal.
He always is talking and peeping about things, who knows what. He probably is whining about food. After a long time, the hawk flew off as the big eaglets can't fly yet and he can, so he had to show off a little bit to them. He flew from tree to tree and practiced his landings and tested out some branches that were too small. He flopped about on some branches and did more squeals. He then flew toward the nest to a tree nearby.


Then it was time for me to leave.  I am always sad to leave the little hawk as I am very attached to it now. I am obsessed with watching it and I just think it is so cute.


I am giving roses to the people who liked my facebook page and those who went and watched my videos of the young hawk on YouTube.  It is very rewarding for me to have people look at the videos and like my page.  For many years no one has looked at my videos or liked my page but I kept doing it hoping you would all come.  I am lucky I have very supportive blog friends who have kept me blogging all these years.  I have leukemia and I get very tired so sometime I have to just rest and not do my blog.

I also give roses to the residents of the quiet street that the nest is on.  We have all invaded their space and they have graciously accepted us.  I have become very attached to the lovely area and the lovely people there. I hope we all leave them alone soon.

This is all part of a continuing story of a little hawk being raised by two eagles in their nest in Sidney, B.C.
My posts are here on the Baby Hawk:
Hawk Wins Food War
Hawk Fledges
Hawk Update
Hawk Adopted by Eagles
Eagles Adopt Hawk
Eagles Raise Hawk Baby



I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.

Video Link in here:



Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos.  This post is for these wonderful bloggers:
Sky Watch Friday  Thank you to the Sky Watch Team
Floral Friday Fotos Thank you to Nick V
The Weekend in Black White  Thank you to Dragonstar
Weekend Reflections Thank you to James
Saturday's Critters  Thank you to Eileen
Pink Saturday Thank you to Beverly
The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS.





38 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for keeping us tuned in and up-to-date on this incredible adventure. It is really such a wild and unexpected experience for the birds and for all of us who get to watch it vicariously. I appreciate your dedication to this unfolding story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing images Nora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy, thanks so much for coming. I will get around to see you soon I hope.
      July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Nora, you did such a great job of following this sweetness of nature. Big congrats to you for documenting this adoption so well and also a big thank you to mama eagle for raising this sweet hawk as her own. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  5. Many thanks, Nora, for all of the updates, pictures, and videos of this precious little hawk. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
  8. Hello, Nora! What a great post on the Hawk. He seems ready to leave the nest and the eagles behind. I wonder if they will all remember each other and get along well? Awesome photos. Happy Friday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen: July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  9. Pretty amazing, and great photos! Made me smile thinking about similarities between moms in the animal world and the human world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a mom and baby hawk love story! July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  10. These are amazing images of a hawk. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming!

      Delete
  11. Wonderful images with eaglets, wonderful pictures captured. Natures is so amazing and you are a great person who loves to observe and admire these critters in their natural habitat. And so lovely roses, too!
    Best regards, warm wishes of good health to you and good cheer in all your activities, too; and many thanks for sharing all of these with us!
    Hugs, Alexa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your warm wishes Alexa! July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  12. I am also attached to the little hawk, thanks to your posts. In a way I'll be sorry when he leaves the nest for a life of his own - I'm going to miss him! Thank you so much for continuing to share his story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that is so sweet. Glad you like my story. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful pics!Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  14. belles images de ce beau rapace !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  15. Your photos are wonderful and I'm enjoying this avian drama. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James thanks for putting up with all this, I have been staying on the one theme of the hawk lately!

      Delete
  16. You, my dear friend, have taken us on one incredible journey with the hawk! And I so appreciate your sharing with us. What a wonderful adventure. I am excited as the 'juvie' hawk is taking off and enjoying life only to procreate and maybe come back for your next record of another generation.

    I'm late getting to visit with you, holiday company from Colorado, but want to wish you a happy week ahead and thank you for joining us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anni, hope to get to your blog soon. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  17. This is a very endearing and gripping story - keep it coming! I am following now on Facebook as well!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my story on Facebook. I have a Fan Page called Island Rambles all about the little Hawk. July Update: Hawk is doing great and getting lots of food. No crows bothering him and he is flying everywhere. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for taking your time to do this. I am so fascinated by this little hawk, and love and appreciate all of your posts and pictures, We have quite a few red-tails here in Pacifica, California, but none as fascinating as this litlle guy/gal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for these lovely comments. I will come to each blog when I have time. There has been a lot going on on my Island Rambles Facebook Page and my blog is getting whammed with hits and my YouTube is crazy. I am a shy person and I thought no one would be interested in the topic of the hawk, I just like it for myself. It is overwhelming and I thank my blog friends for sticking with me through this unusual time period. I love your comments bloggers. Thanks to the new readers who have found me and seem to like the hawk story. It is still an ongoing story. I am still going to post my pictures, videos and blog posts on the hawk. I am taking a little break as my husband is ill. I do have many videos and photos that you have not seen yet. cheers, Nora

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS