Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora Flower and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Baby Hawk adopted by Bald Eagles More



Baby Red-tailed Hawk is adopted by eagles in Sidney, B.C. More on it if you click "read more" below.

I am continuing my unusual story on the eagles that added a baby hawk to their family and who tenderly care for it on Vancouver Island in Sidney, B.C.


In the SKY over Sidney, B.C. there is something strange happening, a baby hawk is being raised by a Bald Eagle couple in their nest with three of their eaglets. Below the little hawk is flapping his wings. The parent eagle does a fly off after feeding the young hawk above.
These are for my SKY Watch Friday link up as the nest is quite high up in the sky. It is very difficult to get good pictures as the nest is up really high and I just use a small Panasonic Camera now. I am standing really far away in order to see the angle of the nest top. He has wonderful white legs or what we called pantaloons that I just love.
These are for Eileen at her Saturday's Critters gathering. You can see the size difference of the hawk chick and the eaglet.  Somehow the three eaglets just tolerate the little tiny hawk.
It is unknown how the hawk arrived in the nest.  Possibly the parent eagles could have brought them in as food.  Originally there were two small red-tail hawks in the nest but now only the one.   Possibly a hawk could have laid an egg in the eagles nest but she could not have laid two eggs at the same time, that is not possible, and there were the young eaglets there who would have eaten her eggs. So I am very confused still.
If a mature hawk was brought in as food with an egg inside it that would have produced one baby hawk if it was incubated but that would not have given two baby hawks.  So it is a mystery.  I guess that one of the parent eagles raided a nearby red-tailed hawks nest and brought in the baby hawks as food.  The peeping and the open beak of the baby hawks confused the hormonal parents and they started to feed them.
One did not make it, was possibly damaged or something.
He has a full crop of fish here.  The normal diet for a Red-tail is not fish so I hope he can adjust to that. He looks really health and happy and is very spunky.
I think the little hawk is so cute.  The parent eagle is carefully feeding it and the three sibling eaglets probably just think their parent eagles have gone crazy. I know eagles don't actual think but it is fun to imagine what they would think.  Perhaps the young eaglets just accept that every year this is the correct procedure that the parent brings in an extra hawk or two.
The little hawk has no idea that he is not an eagle and he does everything that the other much larger eaglets are doing. I think he will be a very confused Red-tailed hawk when he grows up. This is a very heart-warming story for me, it shows nature can be kind and perhaps kinder than humans are.  It is a full-circle moment for me as well as I started out blogging around ten years ago after watching the eagle cams and meeting wonderful forum members.
I have only been to the nest three times now and I have met some of the forum members and really kind and nice residents who live nearby.
 For Black and White Weekend above.
 For Weekend Reflections above and below. (these two photos are not real, the water reflection is made by an app)

For Floral Friday Fotos and Pink Saturday. The wild roses are in bloom here now and the water lilies too.
VIDOES FOR THIS WEEK ARE:









If you cannot see the videos they are on my Islandrambles YouTube site

I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.
ASKING FOR CLICKS:
Also asking a favor if you would click on my blog a few times.  I have a dream of getting my stats click counter up to 200,000 before I finish.  I added the counter only a few years ago, I would be much higher if I had used my original blog.



I am publishing my blogs a few days early as I wanted to get the photos out.
Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos.  This post is for these wonderful bloggers:
Sky Watch Friday  Thank you to the Sky Watch Team
Floral Friday Fotos Thank you to Nick V
The Weekend in Black White  Thank you to Dragonstar
Weekend Reflections Thank you to James
Saturday's Critters  Thank you to Eileen
Pink Saturday Thank you to Beverly
The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS.




30 comments:

  1. What an amazing story! Keep us posted! So many questions.
    I think they will eat anything, so the hawk is going to be fine! I'm not sure how the hawk needs to know it is a hawk...it'll hunt, eat, maybe when mating time comes??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn thanks so much for your comment. I think the hawk will be fine also. It may be a little confused when mating time comes.

      Delete
  2. I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.

      Delete
  3. Thanks once again Nora, I'm so fascinated by this incredible situation. All your photos are so good and thanks too for the videos. Cheers now :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.Glad you liked the video!

      Delete
  4. Hello, these are just amazing photos. Cool story that the hawk ended up in the eagles nest. That is weird. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much. It is a weird and wonderful thing to happen to us all here.

      Delete
  5. Good to see everything is still going well.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.

      Delete
  6. Stunning photos! No eagles here but yesterday I saw in my garden an Accipiter nisus and earlier in the spring a huge A gentilis that had caught a pigeon. Best regards from Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.

      Delete
  8. So interesting, and I've never heard of this happening. Your photos are awesome! It would be fun to research to see if there are reports in the literature of eagles feeding and raising baby hawks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has happened two or three times. I have seen a video of a researcher banding eagle babies and he found a little Red-tailed hawk in there! Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.

      Delete
  9. That reflection is pretty impressive - that you captured it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the reflection. I actually make them with various apps I have on the cell phone! I feel guilty about it but I like it! Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.

      Delete
  10. That's an incredible story and you've captured it beautifully. Cool reflection, what app did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use so many apps now Jeanna. I will go and check out which one is on now. I am doing a blog about it and will put a lot of info on that blog soon. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.

      Delete
  11. Such an amazing story! Thank you so much for keeping us up to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much. I love love your Black and White Weekend Dragonstar!

      Delete
  12. Fascinating post - I think you're right. There will be a confused hawk in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much. I hope it can learn that it is a hawk. If it imprinted on the parent eagles and siblings then it is imprinted and thinks it is an eagle.

      Delete
  13. Wow, what an incredible shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much. Glad you like them.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful post! You have some amazing photos and video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, how nice to see you here! Sorry that I have to make my reflections now as I don't get out to find them anymore. Hope it is acceptable. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much.

      Delete
  15. That is such a great and sweet story. Great photos also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting. Each comment is read and appreciated so much. Yes I like the sweet quality of the mother eagle tenderly feeding the hawk which is their mortal enemy. The world could learn something from this.

      Delete
  16. Thanks so much for these wonderful comments. I will try to respond to each of you but it will take a while. Each comment is read and appreciated very much.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS