Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Eagles Adopt Hawk Baby


More on the story of the eagles who adopted a hawk baby in Sidney, B.C.




An eagle couple has adopted a red-tailed hawk baby and is feeding it in their nest in Sidney, B.C. These photos are of the eagles nest taken yesterday but I could not see the baby red-tailed hawk so I took photos of the eaglets exercising their wings in the rain.  I am a long way from the nest so these are cropped in a lot.
 It had to pour with rain when I was there and got sunny when I was at home.  I only stayed for a few minutes as there seems to be a lot of people going there now and the residents must be getting tired of it.  I have to say that I have met the most wonderful and kind residents there the two times I went there for short visits.

 Two Eaglets for Black and White Weekend.
The photo above shows all three of the eaglets, sadly no baby hawk is showing up in the photos. He likes to go to the other side of this nest.  I think he showed up in the late afternoon.
 Here are a series of wing-exercising from the eaglets.
 The photos get bigger when you click on them.
 On Global News they said that there was originally two baby red-tailed hawks in the nest and they showed a picture on the news with two little hawk heads in the nest, so I guess that means there were two alive and now there is one. I am not sure what it means and the whole thing is really confusing to me. The picture was not recent I guess.  I am so confused about how this happened and what is going to happen.
 These are for Eileen at her Saturday Critters.
The pictures are really dark as it was raining and I was far away from the nest.





 For Weekend Reflections, the eagles nest reflecting in water.  (ok, I know, it is bad, I made it with an app.)


Below are photos of the baby red-tailed hawk in the eagles nest. I took these a few days ago. The sky was nice and blue so these are my Sky Watch Friday posts with the little hawk in them.


 I am worried about the little hawk and wonder if it will survive as it normally would not be fed fish.  There are so many things that could go wrong, if the eaglets are low on food little hawk may look like a food to them.

 Sleepy little hawk.

As the pictures are so dark, I think some pink flowers from the gardens would brighten thing up.  This is for Floral Friday and Pink Saturday.

I did another posting on the nest, you can find it here
Eagle raises Red-tailed Hawk Baby.
I have video of the little hawk  on YouTube.
Global News article on the Eagle and baby Hawk
I am on Facebook so you can find me there, link in contact on the top. You can see my Island Rambles Fan Page and also my own Facebook. I have started on Instagram also so you can find my photos there also.

Thank you to each of these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story. Click on any of these links for some great blogs and photos.  This post is for these wonderful bloggers:
Sky Watch Friday  Thank you to the Sky Watch Team
Floral Friday Fotos Thank you to Nick V
The Weekend in Black White  Thank you to Dragonstar
Weekend Reflections Thank you to James
Saturday's Critters  Thank you to Eileen
Pink Saturday Thank you to Beverly


HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS.

15 comments:

  1. What an amazing story! Those eaglets look very fierce already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of all the young birds
    Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a most interesting string of events. Your pictures show a lot of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty amazing that eagles would raise a baby hawk. I wonder how it got in the next to begin with? Fingers crossed that it survives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one amazing story, I do hope everything turns out ok.
    Take care, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your hawk chicklet will be fine. Our owls eat everything!!!! It's all protein.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favourite story of the summer so far. Thanks for the new details. Of course, I, too, worry that the little fellow may be killed by his bigger brothers, but they may surprise us. The young eagles might well take it upon themselves to protect him from other eagles. Wouldn't that be wonderful?
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is an impressive bird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how exciting to follow the adoptive family. nice images.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, it is an amazing story about the eagle adopting the hawk baby. I hope all goes well. Happy Saturday! Wishing you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS, this is a wonderful critter post. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  12. Hello Nora, well... what an amazing story you've unfolded here. I was thrilled to see all the photos too. There's always a cool surprise happening within the world of nature and this is definitely right up there.
    Thanks for all your efforts to get those photos ... the ones with the Eagles doing their wing exercises are magnificent too.
    Pretty flowers as well - what more could we ask! Cheers now :D)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredible! Amazing birds!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great story - I saw this pop up on Facebook as well.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS