Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about my life on Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Playful Birds and Butterflies


Today we have some playful birds and butterflies for the ABC Link Up at the letter "p".

These pelicans were very playful when they arrived here a few years ago.  Some of them had to be flown home on a plane though as they were tired and hungry after a while here.  They recovered and were set free again. I think it was all the way to San Francisco that they had to go to get home again.  We had a lot of herring in the inner harbour and they stayed there for a while.


 I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of all our butterflies but it has been too cold.  This is my world for the Our World Team and Fiona.

The photos are mostly from last year as it is not warm enough for butterflies right now.  I have just seen a Sara Orangetip and a Red Admiral so far this year.  Above we have two Pine Whites and a Clodius Parnassian.  I think Michelle at Ramblingwoods will love these for her Nature Notes.

Above we have two Propertius Duskywings and a Purplish Copper.

 Above we have a Purple Sandpiper who is the smaller of the two birds on the rocks and a Pacific Golden Plover and a Pied Billed Grebe.
 Above we have the Pink Footed Goose and a little Palm Warbler and a Peregrine Falcon and the Pileated Woodpecker.  Some birds for Stewart at Wild Bird Wednesday.


To finish off we have a Peacock and a Pintail duck and a Pheasant. More birds for Anni at The Bird D'Pot.  I hope some of you will
enjoy the videos below.


For the video section we have two Parks and some Purple Martins.
If you can't get the videos here just check out my YouTube site.

You have to click on this to hear the sound of the Purple Martins!




Click on this to see the most beautiful rhodos and flowers.




This is a beautiful video of wildflowers I made, please click on it.






Thank you to these meme hosts for allowing bloggers to share their story.  Click on these links to find great blogs and photos. This post is for these wonderful bloggers:
The Bird D'Pot  Sunday Thank you Hootin' Anni
MacroMonday 2 Thank you to Gemma Magical Mystical Teacher
the butterflies are for my macros
Nature Notes Tuesday Thank you to Ramblingwoods
Our World Tuesday  Thank you to the Our World Team
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you to Stewart
ABC Wednesday   Thank you to Mrs. Nesbitt and the Team
We all made it to the letter "p". Yay!



HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

23 comments:

  1. Super excellent Nora! Great birds, exceptional butterflies! I love all the birds...but have to favor the pilated woodpecker...why? 'Cause I have only seen them in photos & not real time [yet]

    Thanks so much for linking up with us at I'd rather b birdin.

    ~anni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are fantastic. Such variety, many of these species I don't get to see here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the Pacific Golden Plover and the Palm Warbler so much! All the photos were great and the video of the purple martins was awesome! Such a wide variety of birds! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely images Nora. I'm looking forward to your great images as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great set of shots - really like the waders and the woodpecker.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos (all of the!). I really like pelicans. They can be so comical. I also liked all three videos. I've never heard of, much less seen a Purple Martin. They are very attractive and also have a great sound. We've got wildflowers everywhere here also. I love seeing them all around, but they sure do make me sneeze...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful shots! I love the pelican and, of course, the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An amazing post Nora, What I found facinating was, the plants the butterflies are on are the same we have here in the UK.
    Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Nora! I love the pelican and all the birds. The Plover is one of my favorites. Beautiful collection of butterflies. Great images.

    Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've several species of butterflies that overwinter. They are fabulous to see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love seeing all the birds, butterflies, and flowers. We've seen a few Swallowtails here this spring season, but that's about it for butterfly sightings so far. Looking forward to sunnier skies, warmer temps, and the real beginnings of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely birds and butterflies.
    I wish we had more of the fluttery beauties around our house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that pelican! And all the rest, too! lol

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful photo and presentation of playful birds and butterflies ~ gorgeous ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a lovely week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful birds and butterflies and great photos and presentation ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a lovely week ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful Nora -- I'm so impressed with your butterflies , which won't hold still for me and your birds are beautiful as always. That story about the pelicans is very interesting. My goodness! I was surprised to see it on your blog and wondered if you were traveling or writing about a trip. I've sure never seen any brown ones in the Pacific Northwest. (Very common here in Florida). What a trip they had.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful videos and I love the sound of the purple martins in the background, as I view the wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are Perfect Pictures for P. Very well captured.
    Happy ABCW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. your photo's are always a feast for the eye

    ReplyDelete
  20. a whole world at play!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nous adorons les Pélicans, vous avez beaucoup de chance de pouvoir les observer ;-)
    Céline & Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  22. So great series of birds and butterflies. The video of wildflowers is so beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. An amazing time of your! Your part of the world is always ahead of ours!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS