Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Welcome to my blog world. This is a photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I only put a few posts on the first page. Please click "Read More" to see all of each post. Also click "older posts" under the comments or see the archives at the side, labels below post and older Index. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

FOLLOW MY BLOG

To follow click on badge on the sidebar or here.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Discover Vancouver Island



I grew up in a rain forest.  Actually in a rain forest park.  I did not know anything more than the ocean, the trees and the sky then.


My eyes were the eyes of a wild child.  I felt the wonder of being free. I belonged with nature and I felt her bond with every step.  She was my friend.  My one and only friend.  I ran along white sandy beaches miles from anywhere alone and free.




Oh I lived on a small fjord surrounded by trees and mountains. There were no roads, the only way in and out was by boat up and down the blue canals and inlets.  That is how one would get to "town".


There was no television or electricity.  There was a lovely walk to the outhouse on the hill by the apple trees.  The clothes were hung to dry in the salty wind.


The bells on the fish boats woke you each morning.  The gulls calling out in excitement as they floated over the waves.

Life was very different for me then.  And it is only now that I can truly see it.  Now I am old and can understand why I long to be with my old friend nature again.  It is with age that we begin to understand our own inner self and to be able to give that part of our self away.  We become fearless to be our self.

My father was a simple fisherman.  He fished the seas.  We had nothing much in my time.  I came from the dirt on that rocky shore and will go back to it.


I no longer care about feelings of shame or the embarrassment of being poor or from the bush.  I no longer care about society or about how one should appear to be.  Because I only want to be with nature.  I don't want to impress humanity about who I should be as I only want to be me.  I am wild.  Just like a wild animal. I am part of the dirt, mud, moss, sand and earth and sky and I will go back to it. It is my real home.

In knowing where I came from gives me the value of who I am today.  Inside of me there still is that child of the wilderness and in my dreams I still am dancing in the waves of some wild magical beach.

So that is my story of my childhood. I had nothing else to write about today.  It is weird but hope you enjoyed it. I just write whatever I am thinking now.  This took about five minutes time and is an easy way to form some text.  This is me below in the slide taking the movie which is at the end of the blog.







And since I have nothing else prepared for this week I will just take you on a journey of discovery on Vancouver Island. I hope some day some of you will be able to travel and discover this island paradise where I have lived all my life.  I hope one day many bloggers will journey here and witness my wild island dreams. And I want to meet you all.

I grew up near Vancouver Island Pacific Rim Park.
I found a great link on the Oasis Channel Website that has some nice photos and videos of Vancouver Island Pacific Rim Park. Pacific Rim Park.

We are at the letter "D" for Discovery.  To discover my island and to discover our true self.  What was your childhood like?  If you were to see the child you were and talk to the child you were what would you say?  How did your childhood shape your life?  And now looking back on it all......how do you feel?  Just random thoughts to ponder.  It is all I have to give.  Peace and have a wonderful day.

Please watch my video of a beach near where I grew up and for your added enjoyment I put music on it: The Mission by Ennio Morricone.




Don't forget to check out my twitter pagemy Facebook pagemy YouTube site.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.


The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart

Some birds for the birders.  These were at Long Beach.









 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK BLOGGERS AND BIRDERS!!

35 comments:

  1. I love the island too! It will be five years ago in May we moved here from Vancouver. Wished I had moved sooner. I was not brave then, I took a big risk and am glad for it now. Beautiful images of beaches and logs, the water. A very nice post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. Nice to hear from another islander.

      Delete
  2. gorgeous views. going to look around a bit. so nice to meet you through the bird link up "Wild Bird Wednesday" ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some ways, life did seem simpler then. But if one wanted to go backwards, I'm sure there's a corner of Vancouver Island just waiting for them.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Les. Hope all is going well for you and your hubby.

      Delete
  4. Magnificent photos of the beaches an shoreline of Vancouver Island. I liked your description of what it was like when you were young and growing up in such a beautiful and unspoilt place. It is quite different from where I grew up but the whole world was much simpler then I think. You didn't name the shorebirds - are they Whimbrels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are Whimbrels...thanks for mentioning that Mick. cheers.

      Delete
  5. I had a brother that lived in that area for years, but sadly, I never visited when he was there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your childhood sounds wonderful! I grew up in a city, a small one, but very void of nature. I am happiest when I am out and about in nature's beauty. Your photos are marvellous and make me long for the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your post! I think that the annual family vacations to Vancouver Island helped me to develop my wanderlust. My first train ride was to Vancouver, first ferry trip across to the island, first airplane ride was in a little seaplane to Read Island. Your photos are marvelous, you capture the beauty of the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great childhood,free from the cares of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too grew up by a beach. The sound of waves still ring in my ears sometimes amidst all this city chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, with photos like these, I wanna go and explore Vancouver too. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful place to live! The beach is gorgeous, I can picture you dancing in the waves. Love the Whimbrels, they are cute! Great shots and post. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know Nora, you can spend your life with someone and never really kmow them, and yet I look though some photos, and read some text, and I feel I have known that person for ever, beautiful, very beautiful.
    All the best , and take care , Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks a lot like the coast of Washington State, which is the closest I have been to your part of the world.

    Great set of pictures.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love visiting the island too, and are planning another trip soon. We loved the Pacific Rim area and have videos similar to your from Long Beach. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's cool about you is that you're still DISCOVERING.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  16. It would be so nice to revisit simple places of our youth and feel that wonder and excitement about the world again. That's how I feel about the rural area where I spent many years with my grandparents. It is a beautiful place where you grew up. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about being proud of your humble start in life. Your photos are beautiful. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful video, and the music so serene. I enjoyed your post and the thoughts you express - life seems more meaningful and enjoyable without the constant demands of the 'ego'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. HI Nora What a wonderful post with fantastic photographs and video. I loved hearing about your childhood. I too prefer to be out and about in nature. I have been only once for 1 day to your island and certainly I would love to explore it so perhaps you may have your wish of meeting another blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why you love your home. What a treat to read about your life growing up and how the sense of freedom and connection to nature has never left you. Thank you for sharing your photos and videos. I would love to visit your island one day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos of the beach and the waves. I enjoyed your words too. Take care, Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Extraordinary post!!! I enjoyed reading your thoughts and the way you added some details to them. Well done.
    And the birds are exceptional. Photos of the sea and island......beautiful colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sounds like a great childhood! Your shots are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is not weird and I love both the words and photos from this post.
    I also know the joys of an outhouse and a poor childhood. Replace the beautiful place where you lived with the desert and there we are!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nora, this is a really wonderful post! Not only the beach and the birds, but your exquisite expression. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Wally in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for all your comments. They mean so much to me. This is a special post to me so I am very thrilled that you came to see it. You can be assured that I read each comment and enjoy each one. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was such a deeply personal post and so heartfelt. I found myself picturing that child on the beach. There is alone and lonely and you had the best of Mother Nature to keep you company. I love the comments that you got too... Very thoughtful. Hug.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nora what a wonderful and moving post. The photography is stupendous. I understand the wildness and wanting to be close to nature. Most people I know don't get that part of me. Thanks you made my day. :)
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  28. What beautiful images, lovely commentary throughout your post, a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Nora, you should never say anything like 'that's all I have to give'... because your posts always always give us so much. And with this one you outdid yourself. Honestly it is beautiful. The first part was a beautiful prose poem...publishable I should think! An ode to a childhood not many of us have been blessed enough to experience. I loved it so much. And as always I enjoyed the tour of wonderful Vancouver Island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie. It is difficult to sometimes insert parts of my true self and my life into a nature blog about birds. I feel a little silly writing creative prose about my life in this blog. I feel like I am cheating on the nature blog by wandering off on other topics so much. But this blog is one of the main supports in my daily life and the continual struggle to remain positive with the wildly creative mind I was given to share and with that creative mind I also have the melancholy that all artists inherit in order to be able to achieve their art. Thus you will witness my island rambles on any topic that comes to me.

      I do want to say that the comments the other bloggers like Sallie give the blog much more than I can ever give it.....they give me a community. They are my family. They know me better than my own family and friends.
      Also the bring life to the blog....their spark, their fun, their jokes...it gives me such joy to read them.

      Delete
  30. Interesting, reflective commentary.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Click for Index

TO CONTINUE CLICK 'OLDER POST' ABOVE HERE OR CLICK ON THE ARCHIVE ON THE SIDE OR --OLDER INDEX OF BLOG PAGES
©all rights reserved on all images and text

COPYRIGHT