Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, August 12, 2013

Superpod A Whale Tale



Just when I don't go out in the boat all the EXCITEMENT happens...my husband got all these shots of Enormous whales and I missed all the fun!
He was fishing out of Becher Bay near Sooke when a lot of the Southern Resident orca populations showed up.  There were so many I think we could call it a Superpod which is an Enormous pod of whales. They were in Juan de Fuca Straits.



I think the Superpod consisted of J, K and L pods but I am no expert.  In all three pods there would be around 82 orcas.  He did not count them so I am not really sure how many there were or if all the pods were there.



They were all hunting and playing together.  They are fish eaters but he did catch some fish as well. And this is the story he told me when he came home, he did have these few pictures to prove it.





This is what it looks like when a whale comes up to the side of your boat. This is actual picture and not cropped!


Then this is what it looks like as the whale goes under your boat! See that white part.


And this is what it looks like when the whale comes up on the other side of your boat!


ABC is at the letter "E" for an Enormous Pod or Superpod of whales!

And now for the bird section.

These are shorebirds that I took previously out at the same location when the whales did not show up.


These are Rhinoceros Auklets I have heard a rumour that whales like to snack on them and call them chocolate. I have not seen this.






This is another picture of the gulls feasting on the needle fish.


And we always see Eagles out here also...this one is holding a crab.



Have a great week everyone, thanks for coming by to see me.
Don't forget to check out my twitter page, my facebook page, my youtube site.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.
Click on these links to find great blogs and photos.
 

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Our World Team
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.




51 comments:

sylvia kirkwood said...

How wonderful not only to see them, but get photos as well!! Terrific! Thanks for sharing!!

Carole M. said...

what fun; I've tried several times over to see them closer (from the shore), but they've always been 'way out there' - binoculars only sightings

ladyfi said...

Wow - what amazing photos. Such a treat to see whales up close! Love that eagle photo too.

Thanks for your tip about the Blogger profile. I've now added a photo and a link to my blog. Thanks again.

Indrani said...

You got great shots of the whale. Incredible!

Gunilla B├Ąck said...

How wonderful! I'd love to go on a whale safari. That would be so cool. I love the majestic eagle. Have a great day!

mick said...

A great series of photos again but I especially like the ones of the Orcas. Some years ago I took a boat trip out from Seattle to see them but we certainly didn't get that close to them! Very exciting to see them that close.

Margaret Adamson said...

HI I am sorry you missed all the fun and excitement of seeing the whales. Great shots. Go fishing next time!!!

Roy Norris said...

An amazing set of images Nora. Something that many will never see so your excellent post will be nice to look at.

chai-and-chardonnay.blogspot.com said...

Absolutely amazing!!! Whale watching is at the top of my list!! Never managed yet.... Love it!

Karen said...

Oh fabulous captures. How wonderful to live by the ocean!

Roger Owen Green said...

Seeing sea life up close IS EXCITING!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh Nora!!! Thank your husband for putting down his pole long enough to take these amazing whale pictures ! I'm in utter awe.

And I adore your bird pictures -- the eagle is amazing with his dinner clutched in his claws.

Thanks so much for sharing -- this whole post is a wonder of nature!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Oh my gosh...I can't get past the whale images today. Wow. Wow. WOW!!!!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, awesome post! I would love to see the pod of Orcas! And GREAT shots of Auklet. They are cool birds. Beautiful photos!

photowannabe said...

Thanks for letting us Ramble with you.
Seeing the pods of whales is truly Exciting.

Leslie: said...

Oh gee, I understand your disappointment in not having gone with husband! I've seen grey whales but only a couple of orcas from a distance. It'd be SO Exciting!

Leslie
abcw team

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Sylvia.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Fiona for hosting the meme. Good, glad you like my tip.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Carole, love the blue sky in your bird photos today. Thanks for sharing. cheers.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Really like your tour today, I hate it when you get somewhere and they say No Photos allowed...that is so cruel. You got some great exteriors anyway.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

We also have starlings here like on your blog today, luckily not too many of them around where I live.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

I like the oystercatcher on your blog today Mick. The Whale Watcher boats get close to them here, there is a stayback law where they can't get too close. What happened was the whales came right up to hubby's boat, so they just have to shut the motor off and wait till they leave.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

I know whenever I go out in the boat all I get are a few birds. Love that black horse on your blog today. Nice video!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks for sharing. cheers.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Yes but you have a yard full of cardinals. That is pretty nice too.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Rog tells us about eponyms today! Guess what it is. No not a food.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Sallie...nice hummingbird photo on your blog. cheers.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Hootin Anni.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Eileen...your hummingbirds are wonderful to see on your blog. Thanks for sharing. cheers.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Nice posting for your "E" blog today. Thanks for sharing. cheers.

Kay L. Davies said...

E is for exciting for sure! I'm SO jealous of your husband seeing all those gorgeous whales. A thrill of a lifetime!
The auklets are adorable. I hope they aren't "chocolates" for the whales.
And your eagle is gorgeous.
K

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Roy, I will be right over to visit, you are ten hours ahead of me!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Leslie..I am so upset I was not there...but he did good and got me a few photos. I have seen grey whales up way too close and got scared.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hi Kay, I am jealous also, why why why does he get all the excitement!!

Christian Perrin said...

What an incredible series of photos! I would have been more than a little nervous surrounded by 82 of the largest predators in the world, even if they were only eating fish! Depends on the size of the boat I guess :-)

So happy to have stumbled upon your blog - your corner of the world has always fascinated me, particularly the sea life!

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful images, moments really, Nora... beautiful!

Lisa said...

Love the photos of the whales - what an awesome sight!

Gregory Urbano said...

birds that are chocolates for whales... interesting!

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Christian for your comments.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Hope your ankle gets better Laura.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Thanks Lisa.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

thanks Gregory.

Jim said...

Awesome captures

Ercotravels said...

Glorious shots of the whales and the birds! such a nice day with enjoy..

eileeninmd said...

Nora, I hope you do not mind I linked up your blog as one of my favorites this week. Have a happy weekend! Eileen

Wally Jones said...

Nora, thank you so much for a wonderful post! The whale experience must have been incredible!
Those Auklets are amazing. That would be a new bird for me!

-Wally, Enjoying The Dog Days of Summer In Florida

Rambling Woods said...

WOW..and AMAZING...I love the orcas and I hate to see them in captivity. I think they are too smart to be used like circus animals..love the birdy photos too Nora.. Michelle

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, oh, my goodness, I want to see!! How incredible that must have been.

Pat Tillett said...

Oh yeah! I would have been unhappy if I missed all that. How exciting!

Stewart M said...

Wow - I think I would be very jealous if this happened to me - these animals are in my top 5 want to see!

Nice pictures of the birds as well!

Cheers - Stewart M

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Very happy that you like it and linked. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS