Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Monday, June 10, 2013

Very Good Birding


 
 We have been having very excellent birding this month here on Vancouver Island and Victoria, B.C.  The above vignette is of the Western Kingbird we visited up at Mount Tolmie.  It is "V" week at the famous ABC Blog Meme so I will find some more very "V" like words.

 
 
Also visible at Mount Tolmie was the vivacious and volant little Lazuli Bunting with its vivid colors.  It was very vocal with a lot of verbose calls.


Very Unusual Story:  We have a vagrant Quail in the vicinity of Kings Pond.  It is a bit of a vagabond as it must have imprinted on one of the ducks there and thinks it is a duck now.  It follows one female duck everywhere but sits on the sign when she swims. How on earth would a Quail egg be in a ducks nest? Any birders got any vague ideas how this quail would have been imprinted on a duck?



There are a lot of very cute ducklings at Kings Pond also. The Quail thinks he is one of the ducklings.  He is a very happy little quail and has no idea that he is not a duck.

 
 Oh and I think I found the duck I named Marilyn Monroe.  I think this is the duck that I fed all winter on Panama Flats.  But now she is over at Beacon Hill Park where there is a lot of food also.  Here she is with all her baby ducklings!
 
The bird feeder has been very busy lately with a good volume of birds visiting me. Below are some Crossbills that came in to the feeder.



 
Very Sad Story:  One of the Planter Box owlets died.  They think it may have been hit by a car.  I am so sad about this. They can't find the other two owlets right now either but I am hoping they are safe somewhere in the forest.  This is my last picture of one of the owlets. There are two very vicious Red Tailed Hawks nearby and I wonder if they drove off the owlets.


Well that is it, the ups and downs of life or the vicissitudes of life for "V" week. Thanks so much for coming to see my blog story.  I am still not feeling well yet and doing tests at the lab.
Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them for others and as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot Thank you Anni
Our World Tuesday Thank you Jennifer
Sweet Shot Tuesday Thank you Kent
ABC Wednesday Thank you Denise, Roger and Team
Nature Notes Wednesday Thank you Michelle
Outdoors Wednesday Thank you Susan
Wild Bird Wednesday Thank you Stewart






 I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.


38 comments:

  1. I do love your birds for the day!! Hope your week is off to a great star, Nora! ! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have even managed to capture the bunting with its beak wide open. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing all your bird photos this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Nora! So many wonderful species in your area~oh, how I would love to see a Lazuli Bunting! So sorry to hear about the fate of the owlet:( I hope the others are safe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had great success birding! I have no idea how a quail got imprinted with a duck, but how utterly fascinating. It is sad about the owls. So very sorry. How wonderful seeing the lazuli bunting. Great set of images!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series!! Hope the owlets are OK. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about the owl! We have two or more hooting in my neighborhood and they would be sorely missed if they left the park.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely incredible. The Bunting in all its glorious colors...what a special treat!

    Love the pose of the Kingbird too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ps...that quail story is so very interesting. Nature has a way with doing the unusual...it's a grand, remarkable story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really good birding post! Lovely stories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow - so many amazing shots and stories. That quail is too adorable. But so sorry to hear about the owl...

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great series of photos but I especially like the first one - that bird really looks as if it is watching you so carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome birds and photos. I love the pretty bunting. Wonderful post, thanks for sharing. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You captured a VERITABLE medley of birds for"V" this week, and I throughly enjoyed all of the VIBRANT photos of all those remarkable little creatures. Your photography is terrific; Kate, ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  15. very lovely bird and thanks for sharing a little from your side of the world too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your V words and as always enjoy the nature!!! So wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous collection of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. a VERITABLE potpourri of VIVACIOUS V items.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  19. Terrific shots. Sorry about the owlets :(
    Love that quail!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a joy to see these wonderful creatures, the quail cracks me up! I do hope the owlets are OK. And I hope you are doing OK too. I know tests are unfun, many good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh so sad about the owlets! Poor little things. Love your azure bunting and confused quail, also Marilyn. It is so nice to see a bird what has become familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How sweet are these wonderful birds. It is tough when one of them disappears. Thank you for your comment yesterday re Google+. I have heard, and am very concerned about, that comment issue. I really want to keep my blog as it is and not involve G+ in the comments. Thanks again and hope those tests are just precautionary. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  23. VERY good, indeed!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't know the bird with the blue head. I enjoyed looking at these and the ones below of the tiger and the little blue in the flower garden.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Its a wonderful month for birding and your photos capture that. That quail story is so funny. Hope the owls are OK and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I would love to see a Lazuli Bunting. Wonderful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice set of birds - and a good use of the letter V.

    Cheers - and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful story and photos. The quail/duck is so funny, and the loss of the owls so sad. I do hope they escaped the hawk.

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How sad about the owlet. I do hope the others are safe somewhere. Funny about the quail!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nora your post is wonderful -- it's almost like a novel covering the highs and lows of (from laughter to joy to sadness). Your pictures illustrate it all beautifully. Take care, get better. I adore your birds.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful captures of all these birds. I have been noticing many different birds here on my little island also. I am hoping that I really do have the comment thing figured out and that my comment will show up. thank you for your comment on my blog it did show up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely selection of birds..I am sorry about the owl..that is why I don't like to watch nesting cams as I know some young bird may starve or be predated or as this poor young bird killed....it is hard to watch....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much for the comments posted here. Sometimes I am unable to reply to the comments right away, I do check back and try to reply to the later ones also.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great photos! Very interesting about the quail and duck.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great shots of the varied birds you've been seeing. You asked about how I get so many birds at my bird baths and I think it's because so many birds live in my wildlife garden. I've let my bushes get completely overgrown which birds use for shelter and I have a lot of nesting boxes too. I used to feed the birds year round but recently they get so much food from plants I let go to seed and from wild blackberries, mulberry trees, blueberry bushes, pecans in the fall to mention a few that I only feed them in severe conditions during the winter. I only have one bird bath that was designed to be a birdbath but I have large plant saucers that I place on my deck and in my front yard which I keep fresh water in for the birds (five of them). In the summer I sometimes add ice to the water to cool it down in the heat of the day. I guess my point is my yard has basically become a wild habitat and the birds take advantage of the shelter, food and water.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very interesting post with great variety of birds. Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS