Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text

Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Weekend After




Well it is the weekend after a sad week in the news.  Unbelievable tragedy in Boston and now the explosion in Texas.  I hope the world can just stay safe.  My heart goes out to those affected by these events. It is incredibly sad.  I feel unable to do much of a blog this weekend so just a few pictures and quotes.


(These shots were taken at Genoa Bay top picture and above here is a reflection in a restaurant window in Cowichan Bay for Weekend Reflections Meme.)


“Nonviolence doesn't always work -- but violence never does.”


“Love knows no limit to its endurance, no end to its trust, no fading of its hope; it can outlast anything. Love still stands when all else has fallen.”

 
(These reflection shots are of Ogden Point docks. There is a new rail around the walkway now.)
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
Lao Tzu


(This is a relaxing reflection shot of the Oak Bay Marina.)

“If you succumb to the temptation of using violence in the struggle, unborn generations will be the recipients of a long and desolate night of bitterness, and your chief legacy to the future will be an endless reign of meaningless chaos.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
For Sky Watch Friday:

(Esquimalt Sky, Fleming Beach area, I wish I could
walk all the way up to the sky.)

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
Jimi Hendrix

(Sky from the Blue Bridge)
 
“The attempt to combine wisdom and power has only rarely been successful and then only for a short while”
Albert Einstein
(Sky over the Inner Harbour)
 
Most of these shots were taken with the tiny Panasonic FZ200 as it is easy for me to carry around and is good for scenery, has a nice wide angle to it. It has a 500X zoom lens but I have not found it to be as good as my Canon 400mm lens for birding.



I may not enter all these memes but this is the only way I can still join in. Thanks so much to the meme hosts who put on each of the following amazing memes for bloggers to join in and share their work.

I want to list all these memes for this part of the week so others can join them and I can pick a few to link up to.



Sky Watch Friday
Weekend Reflections
Best Post of the Week
Weekly Top Shot
Simple As That
Miscellaneous Monday
Blue Monday




 


edit note:   I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.
 
Please have a safe weekend and hope next week will be better.

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful captures, lovely skies and the perfect words. Thank you for sharing, Nora. At times like these those are the only things that offer any real comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sylvia...hope you have a safe weekend.

      Delete
  2. The tragedies of the week have made big news but we must not forget all the other places where bombs go off in heavily populate streets almost on a daily basis and there are scant medical resources available.
    Lovely photos with all those beautiful reflections. Ah, what it is to live close to the water!
    Nora, my daughter made me get a computer and started blogging in June '08 to keep me sane while my husband was already hard to live with as his Alzheimers was getting a heavier grip on him.
    Not quite sure when we links up but I started following your blog as soon as I had found one on Vancouver Island. I just love the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arija, yes this is true, many people are living with violence daily and many people are fleeing from it around the world. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's struggle and I am sorry you are apart from him now. Yes we connected up in 08 I guess. It has been a journey for us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely skies and shots!

    Unfortunately, bombs and killing are a daily occurrence for many.. We all have to work for peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ladyfi, you are in Sweden, I am in Canada and many of my commentors here are in the US, India, Australia etc. It is a global community at Google. People join together from all around the world in blogs, in a virtual community. I wish we could have a physical world where we all joined together peacefully and IMAGINE what that would be like. But how on earth do you achieve peace when everyone wants power not peace.

      Delete
  5. Those are BEAUTIFUL reflection shots and what lovely skies...I loved that walking in the sky shot!!!Have a great weekend!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shantana, she has a lovely blog from Oman, we share the world peacefully on our blogs.

      Delete
  6. It has been a very sad time for sure...and Arija is so right, we have no idea about so many of the other tragic events around this world. I am very grateful for my peaceful life.

    You do have a way with a camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori is in Western New York on a wonderful farm with horses and dogs. She works hard to keep peace in her life. We have to work individually for peace globally.

      Delete
  7. A very apt post for this week. We are always mindful in London of the possibility of terrorist attacks. Just yesterday 4 men were convicted of planning a major bombing campaign on our streets. Fortunately for us the police arrested them before they could carry out the bombing. How people cope with the after effects of such attacks on a daily basis I cannot come anywhere near to claiming I can empathise. On Sunday I will be out to support the London marathon runners with everyone's thoughts being with the Boston families who are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fun, I hope all goes well with the London Marathon. The safety one felt as a child is long gone in this world. My thoughts go to those who suffer these attacks on a daily basis and are unable to flee to another country or are forced to live their life out in a refugee camp. This is not the way to build a peaceful world.

      Delete
  8. Love the sksy shots! Have a greek weekend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that "walking in the sky" photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I love to see these photos from places with familiar names...Oak Bay...Cowichan...the inner harbor...they bring a smile to an old west coast British Columbian living in southeastern Alberta.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a lovely sharing... you must have had a lot of fun on this sunny day !

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has been a tough international week!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very appropriate post!
    Also, some beautiful photos...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adding my own prayers to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the kind responses here.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS