Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Emotional Cat Valentine



Just a few Emotional Valentine Cards today to share with you.  Timmy the Indoor Cat is staying with us for a few days so she wanted to come on the blog and say hello and Happy Valentines to you all.  She loves being an indoor cat and has never been outside. She wants to tell you all about being an indoor only cat and I want to give a Valentine to each of my readers.

Having an indoor cat is so easy and fun and it so much better for the birds and it is better for the cat also according to the vets. The domestic cat was introduced by us but we have done nothing to control them so now we have too many and some have gone feral. This is very devastating to the bird population.

A recent study found that the impact of free ranging cats on wildlife causes "substantially greater wildlife mortality than previously thought".
Cats are a non-native invasive species and they found that most of the birds killed by them were robins, chickadees and finches but I think they are not selective to these species.

It is an emotionally charged issue as people love their furry feline pets but a little education on how to have fun with an indoor cat can't hurt.  The vet food is much better for your cat than eating unknown items outside, getting sick and in contact with diseases.

They now have such advanced litter boxes that you do not even have to do much cleaning....the one Timmy uses is a Bionaire odor-fighting litter box that is great and we use a dust free litter; you can get an apartment dust free litter from Purina called Maxx Scoop that is a good product and lasts a long time. And our Canadian vet food is great.

I hope I help convince some cat owners to try keeping their cats as indoor cats only.

These beautiful Valentine frames I found as a free gift on Jill Wellington's Site This is Life, check her out as she gives tips also.

Here are some of the birds Timmy watches out of the window but since she is a house indoor cat she does not eat them.






Little hummers on my deck that Timmy watches.


I may not enter all these memes but this is the only way I can still join in. Thanks so much to the meme hosts who put on each of the following amazing memes for bloggers to join in and share their work.

I want to list all these memes for this part of the week so others can join them and I can pick a few to link up to.  E for Emotions for ABC Wednesday...sorry I am so late for each meme or carnival. I am doing too many things this week.

Camera Critters
Best Post of the Week
Weekly Top Shot
Simple As That
Miscellaneous Monday

Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday

edit note:   I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.
 
 
 

Video Info:  A video of Portland Island, B.C. where they do many studies on song birds. 
 





16 comments:

  1. Great post! Happy Valentine's Day to you and your kitty! Love the Goldfinch shots and the Hummer is so sweet. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's cute. Does he chirp at the birds while he's watching? They're so adorable when they do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful kitty indeed, Nora! Love your captures! The birds are so beautiful! Wishing you a very Happy Valentine's Day!! Hope all of you have a fun holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! You have a beautiful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. emotive pictures
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are such a joy to see. I am happy to hear that Timmy stays indoors. Around here it is an ongoing battle to keep the stray cats away from my birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute kitty and love the photos of the birds.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there - the hummer pictures are great.

    The shots of the oystercatcher with the crab are rather heavy crops of some of the other pictures in the post - they let me get close, but not too close!

    Cheers and thanks for linking WBW

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I loved all the info about the cats. My sister has seven that have never been outside unless they were/are in a carrier on the way to the vet.

    Your bird photos are beautiful and I love your cat valentines. Happy Valentines Day too you. Found you through WBW.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for these emotional, but elegant Valentine greetings! Happy Valentine to you too!
    Wil, ABCW Team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pictures are lovely and Timmy couldn't have found a better place to visit! How fun that he can sit and watch so many songbirds outside your windows! I'm with him, that is the best way to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures of your cat. We had to give ours up because of allergies but I do get to love on a big dog so that helps. Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Watching the video relaxes me seeing the ocean.

    Catching up with ABC Wednesday entries on Valentine's day!

    I hope you'd come and check out my Eskimo

    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  14. A wonderful post for today! I saw dozens of Goldfinches this morning fueling up for their return flight to the north.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Valentines Day Nora..I love the cat cards and the bird photos and the video. Yes the cat is a non-native species outside. I agree but boy this is a very controversial topic even on a birding e-mail list I am on. I keep mine in-doors and they are happy. Important post..hope people will learn something...

    Song sparrows..I see so many raising cowbird chicks..but the issue of stress in birds is interesting and sad...


    Oh..I changed the start day to Tuesday because of the time differences and the fact that there were many Wednesday memes..but anytime is fine...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for all the comments, I sometimes just have time to rattle around to each of your blogs for a few minutes, slip in and out of the blog door after I check out your week.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS