Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Birds and Reflection Photos



 A few sky shots from the past.  I did not like this post so I put it away. So I have started it a few times and then put it to draft.  It has a lot of reflection and sky pictures and some birds.  So some of it is a blast from the past and some new shots as well.  These two shots were taken where we used to live by the water.  I am not able to get sunset pictures where I live now.
This is from the drive I used to do each day at sunset before we moved. To see the rest of the post you have to click link below.




Cowichan Lake good reflections above.
Brentwood Bay sky reflecting popcorn clouds into the water.
Sooke Harbour from a boat at sunset.
Parksville summer sky. 
 

Just a few bird reflection photos here in this section from the 2012 birding series.  Well it is a new Birding Year.  What was your first bird of the year?  Have you been out and seen anything yet this year?  My first birds were the White-throated sparrows and the leucistic Fox sparrow at Hyacinth park and the Pelicans in the Inner Harbour.  I am just posting a few photos from the 2012 series until I get the new ones off the camera card.


I found a few reflection shots and sky shots for Weekend Reflections and Sky Watch.  Above here is one of the Stilts out at Maber flats. It was very exciting to have the Stilts nest here for the first time.

 And this is the Egret that visited Panama flats. It did not stay long but it was fun to see all the birders gathered around taking photos of it.
 More Stilts and Egret shots. I spent a lot of time visiting each of these birds.


The sky out at Sooke.

The sky out off Sidney.  This was one of the lowest tides I have ever seen, some of the boats look like they almost are beached.

These are this years baby eaglets from the Sidney nest.  The nest used to be on a live cam but the eagles wanted a change and they made a new nest across the street from the one with the cam.  So no live cam but the eagles seem to have had two nice eaglets.  The young eaglets visited the old nest.
Did any of my readers watch the first eagle cam on Hornby Island and then the cam in Sidney?  Hope there is some good nature and nest cams to watch in the spring.

Oh it has been so long since we had blue sky here. We seems to have had a very wet, dark winter so far.   This is near the entrance of the inner harbour of Victoria in summer from the boat.  Some of the pelicans are still around this area.
This is at a pow wow in the summer.  I dream of seeing blue sky.......
I am hoping that the weather will change and I will be able to get out and take more photos soon.  Have a great weekend everyone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may not enter all these memes but this is the only way I can still join in. Thanks so much to the meme hosts who put on each of the following amazing memes for bloggers to join in and share their work.

I want to list all these memes for this part of the week so others can join them and I can pick a few to link up to.


This or That Thursday
Sky Watch Friday
Camera Critters
Weekend Reflections
Best Post of the Week
Weekly Top Shot
Simple As That
Show off Your Shot
Your Sunday Best





 


edit note:   I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer.  To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.



28 comments:

  1. Awesome captures and certainly nothing to apologize for, Nora!! I do love the sun across the water! Glorious sunset/sunrise and the perfect way to end or begin any day!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful seriesl! Wishing you a blessed New Year from beneath this beautiful sky we share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the reflection shots.Oh,I may as well just love all your pictures,they are just amazing.Looking forward to seeing many more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful series of photos. Happy New Year!
    JM-Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are all wonderful! the sunset shots are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what fabulous and beautiful shots!

    I too long for some blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think of all these wonderful photos, the very first one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous sunset, the setting is beautiful. Love the birds, especially the stilt. Wonderful photos! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful set of images Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  10. some lovely pics there ISlands........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. I lived in Canada for 22 years, but never had a chance to go to Vancouver. I live in Poland now.
    Visiting from the Weekly Top Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic photography ~ all of them ~ love the eaglets ~ such a treasure of nature ~ as is your blog .

    A Creative Harbor aka ArtMuseDog and Carol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those sunset shots are magnificent, i love more than the rest, but they are equally lovely. What are those big birds in the thumbnail, their feathers look so shattered as if they came from a fight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very scenic place with such lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic photographs! I love water reflection shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that sunset silhouette... Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #64!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sky and water difference - amazing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your sunsets are simply gorgeous, Nora. It must have been hard to move away. Lovely series of birds and scenic shots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice, I love sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another absolutely riveting post, even if it initially felt a bit "off" to you. Your photographs and the variety of birds leaves me quite breathless (and a little jealous :) I did indeed see the Hornby Island and subsequent Sidney Cams. I became quite addicted that year.. in fact, that experience is partially responsible for my obsession with bird photography now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for all these wonderful comments. I will be visiting your sites as time permits me to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you finally posted it. Many great and interesting photos (as always).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh I can't even imagine what it was about this post that you DIDN'T like!! I'd be proud of it if it were mine. I have a link on my blog to the Southwest Florida eagle cam -- it's good I think. It's about 5 or 6 posts back on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My eagle post was further back than I thought (guess I've written more than I thought I had lately ;>)...I don't know if this link will work but here it is: http://travelingrainvilles.typepad.com/traveling_home/2012/12/our-local-eagles-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. We all tend to be our own worst critics. Those are absolutely beautiful photos. You have nothing to apologize for!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS