Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Sunday, November 04, 2012

Quinsam River Bears n' Birds

Today I wanted to share more pictures of bears.
Similar pictures as in the previous post on bears but slightly different. This is rather a long blog with too many photos. I will try to eliminate some. Please remember to click on a picture to see the pictures larger in a slide show, just click on the picture in the slideshow it goes to the next one.

I always think it is interesting to place where the photographer stood as he or she is taking the shot...I was not behind any fencing or barriers in any of these shots, but I did not wade in the river either as that was not my territory. I followed the bear silently from a distance along the same edge of the river as he was on.  In some shots at the weir there were a one or two others looking on, but most of the shots I was alone with bear. I did not do much bush work on this one as the area was open territory, he could see me just as well as I saw him.  The hatchery is in a remote wilderness kind of area. Ron was having coffee in the truck most of time!


The Quinsam River is near Campbell River, B.C. Canada.  This is at the hatchery on the Quinsam River.  There were massive amounts of salmon in the river and this was a big bear. Great quantity of salmon this year, but mostly just pinks.
He is looking directly at me and my camera, what is he thinking. I am not competing for food or territory.  These were easy shots to get. I was alone but not fearful of him then. I hope I did not look like another bear!
Coming towards me.  The Quinsam River Hatchery is a great fish hatchery to visit if you come to Vancouver Island, B.C.  One of my favorite places.
They do amazing work there and I hope they can continue to do so. There have been many cutbacks.
Bear shaking his head as he gets water in his ears. I often find in nature that my subject, each animal or bird seems to be so similar to us, the more I learn about them, the more I understand them.
Another shot of the little bear above on the road, he ran to the river stole a fish and then ran across the road and hid in the bushes.  The big bear is the main boss on the river he was unsure of him and the road. (I had a shot of him in a previous blog about bears.)
It takes some power and strength and talent to fish in this river.  The shots below were more difficult as I had to spend a lot of time following him to an open area and he moved faster than I had thought. Good photos take some patience and planning and being prepared, which I never am.
This is the bear very close to me below but with a long lens so it looks like I am really brave. Not so brave.  Bear was not acting aggressive, more interested in food and I did not appear to be competition as I was not in the river.  I know now that bears make a very bad sound when you accidentally come upon them....they flap their lips and make a extremely loud breathing sound, like they want to eat you right then and there.  He did not do that this time.  That was reassuring. (not cropped photos, right out of the camera to you).
This is a bear's bare bum up close! below here.  I remember I was a bit nervous with the top picture as I was filming video at the same time and I am not sure what I was even saying into the camera as he turned and came toward me quickly. I have found that YouTube is not so interactive as my old blog here where I have so many wonderful friends. I really like the comments people put on my blog here.
Favorite shot below, this was a good series.  (I had the camera set on tungsten white balance, as I had previously been shooting in a museum the day before and forgot in the excitement to change it, so that is why there is so much lovely blue in the shots!!...I can fix it later.) Note to self: always check your settings and now thanks to Roy at The Fenlandwalker Countryside Blog I have set up the Canon 7D with a lot of custom settings so I can just click on them and shoot.  I had forgotten about the 3 custom setting dials on the darn thing.  It sure helps to have friends who jump in and advise me even if they are across the world away.  He has a great blog to visit as well so check him out.      
I just love bears so much now.  I felt so lucky to be in his world for a little while and to feel what it would be like to be a bear.  He allowed me to experience a part of nature up close and to see what he sees. Every time I get to be part of nature I appreciate it so much more, thus my desire to share my photos of the natural world with the Internet world.  I hope you enjoy them also. My family and friends and neighbours do not even look at my blog anymore, as I have been blogging too long now, only other bloggers do.
---------------------------------------
The Terrible Storm:
My thoughts go out to those who were impacted by Hurricane Sandy.  With all of social media now the news coverage is incredible and immediate but what is really needed is more priority on rebuilding and helping quickly rather than so much news story heroics. I think I just watched too much news on it.  Hope things improve for those poor people who lost everything and so many are without power. 
___________________________________________

Today at ABC we are at "q" so this blog is about the q's in my life.

 quizzical quarter horse is a quadruped
 
 
quay at Victoria harbour
 quay at Ucluelet
 quay at Tofino
 
 

Quadra Island
 
 


 Campbell River fishing, poor quality photo of a photo


BIRD SECTION:
Parts of the Bird Section will be a quiz as I will not put in the bird name.



Did you know that baby ducks are so sensitive to cold, that is why momma has to be close by on a cold day like this was.

Quack...but this one makes a high pitched sweet peep.

Quick bird

Sleepy quiet bird

 Quiet but can hiss and grunt if it wants to.


 
 
Can also hiss around the nest but mostly quiet.


 
 
 
 
On my quest to check out the owls nest and this lovely arrived....
Quite a large quantity of birds below.
 Quaternary of four Heermann's gulls.
 
Quantity not quality of birds
 
 

I have a query what are these birds.
I hope this will qualify for the "q" postings.

Sorry this is so long for those of you who have slow loading, but I just can't see the point of having all these pictures sitting on my hard drive like so many photographers who like to save their photos for a never time. I would rather put them all on the Internet.


SOME OF THE UNUSUAL BIRDS IN MY AREA THIS WEEK ARE:
Elegant Tern (flew away immediately when I arrived), Lapland Longspur, (very cooperative, posed and posed), Tropical Kingbird, never can see those, up island some Aleutian Geese.




Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but this is the quick way for me to join in the memes as I have some difficulty with my eyes and I can't blog each day anymore. Please don't look for errors or you will find them.



The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







 
edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar. Why not just subscribe so you get the post sent to you. 





30 comments:

  1. It is always a thrill to visit your blog. It is almost like looking through your photo album with you.I don't think I would be quite that trusting of those big bears.You did get amazing pictures of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ruth, how strange is it that we both got the same camera at the same time...you have some amazing shots on your blog today.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful bears, birds and critters and wonderful captures of them all!! You do have a talent for photography and I always enjoy your collections! Hope you have a great weekend and that you're ready for a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sylvia, I really appreciate your support of my blog efforts.

      Delete
  3. Even with a long lens those bears look a bit too close for comfort! But then - bears are only in zoos out here in Australia. You have a wonderful variety of scenery, creatures, and birds on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bear shots ~ Excellent as well as the other wildlife ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I loved all the bear shots, they are cool critters. The owl is another favorite of mine, great shots. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have such an amazing variety to present. The bear scares me a bit.
    I like how you theme them for the different memes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were quite brave to follow the bear! Great shots and interesting Q words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your shots are fabulous! And those bear shots are really special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, oh my....I feel like Dorothy of Oz...Ducks and birds and bears oh my!! What a fabulous post. And the photos are marvelous. I did not know that about the ducklings and the cold temps. I learned something today thanks to you.

    And, thanks for linking up at the Bird D'Pot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nora, hope you're well today. Thank you for sharing your experiences, environment and images. The bear series is wonderful. What a beautiful animal! -Wally

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed you were able to get such great shots of the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your second capture of the bear is awesome! In Yosemite Nat. Park it would have been considered dangerous to come so close to this bear, unless you had a telelens:)
    I know what you mean -my family. and friends who (don't paint) I see weekly, don't look at my paintings anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're braver than I would be with those bears so close. Some great shots there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. bears the way I like them - far away

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic photos here. I know how swans can hiss! I'm very careful around them.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a varied bunch of Q's. It is hard to beat the bears.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bear shots are quite amazing. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so brave to take photos of a wild animal at close quarters! Thank you for your Q post! Have a great week.
    Wil, ABC Team.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It must be thrilling to see those beautiful animals all the time.

    Questions
    Would you mind pitching an answer?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bear oh bear, I would not want to get close to you.

    Que Sera Sera
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bear is wonderful, the birds are all amazingly brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow such an awesome shots you have here thanks for sharing.

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow...I enjoyed seeing the bear fishing. They are so powerful and manage to fish with those big paws..Love all the bird photos.. yes ducklings are sensitive for the first couple of weeks and need Mom to brood them if it's cold. LOVE the wood duck.. He is so beautiful....quite the nature loaded post this week. Thank you for linking up with Nature Notes...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great shots (and there are not too many pictures!) I'd love to see a bear in the wild! Glad I help to keep you Wednesdays busy!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog - I've been in Oman for a week hence slow reply!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh these are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS