Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, August 06, 2012

Downy Woodpecker and Domville Island



First I have a little story of my new constant companion, a lovely, little baby Downy Woodpecker.  In the spring, I would sit outside and watch the birds a lot. There were all the usual birds, the Nuthatches, the Chickadees, the Goldfinches, the Robins, House Finches, Towhee and the Pine Siskins, and so on.

Two Downy Woodpeckers started to come to the fat also. A pair, male and female. They just came and went, always appreciating a new block of suet fat I had put out.  They were very tolerant of me also.  Then one day they brought babies!! They showed three babies the fat and explained to them I was harmless and just to be tolerated. They would feed the babies at the feeder or above on the maple tree even if I was right there.



Two of the babies were a little apprehensive of me at times but one of the babies thought she owned me or belonged to me and became my constant companion in the garden. It was fun to hear the baby woodpeckers scream at the parents to feed them, they would announce their arrival with a chuck, chuck sound so I knew it was feeding time.


Now it is summer and she still comes to see me, she has grown up a lot and unless there is a loud noise nearby she will stay with me for a while.  I so enjoy companionship with creatures of this earth, we don't need to speak any language at all, we are just  present and existing at this time together and if my thoughts are kindly that is all she wants from me. Below there will be a video of one of the babies getting fed at the feeder, bad amateur video.

I am doing "D" at ABC Wednesday this week with my attempt of Downy Woodpeckers and Domville Island.

I have also a little video of cruising around Domville Island and Brethour Island, B.C., just off of the Saanich Peninsula. These island are part of the Gulf Island Chain.  The boat motor is very loud so turn down sound I guess.  This is terrible amateur video, handheld on a boat, not very proud of it.  The islands have recently been purchased and are privately owned. We can't go on them.  Brethour is beautiful, looks like a park from the water and has lots of harbour seals.  It is named after the Brethour family who settled in Sidney, B.C. in 1892.  It is such a part of our history but not owned by us. Lots of B.C. islands are privately owned by out-of-country residents and we can't go on them and explore the bird  and wildlife there.  Strange isn't it that we just let it all go to whoever has the most money. In time we won't have access to half our islands. I don't have any pictures of these islands as we could not explore them.

Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it.

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday




edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.











40 comments:

  1. Your videos are fantastic. The quality is good and even on the boat it looks very stable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful captures and what a delightful new friend you have, Nora! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots of the woodpeckers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story! And what a privilege! Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots of the woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful new friend and companion ... I love your story and delightful captures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sequence!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!!! I have only seen one species of woodpecker here in South Coastal Texas so far...and I'm jealous of the gorgeous one you've shared.

    Thanks for linking up this week at the Bird D'Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos of the baby woodpeckers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of the Woodpeckers and how delightful to have a little bird companion like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a great series of images, and enjoyable story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't feel quite so sea-sick this week in your boat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great captures of the woodpeckers. It is cute seeing the youngins being fed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when the parents bring their offspring back to the feeders to share with us. These are great shots of the youngster being fed. It looks like the fledgling picked it up right away. I liked the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for this overwhelming response to my little attempts to share birds and islands with you. It takes me a few days to see all of your projects. I will appear at your blog soon, I like to take the time to read your blogs and spend some time there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful series of captures. Great photo opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the downy video - and the boat trip - how beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable photo essay!

    Cheers ... visiting from Our World Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome photos! They are so darn cute! I love being around birds. We have some hummingbirds who were born on our patio and now we have two generations that are very used to us. I almost got one to land on my hand yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - such gorgeous shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. woodpeckers in the garden - now I am jealous!

    Very nice set of pictures.

    Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love this post ~ Your photos are awesome and love how the woodpeckers have adopted you ~ Wow! ~ thanks (A Creative Harbor) USA

    ReplyDelete
  23. cute bird

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never seen a baby woodpecker of any kind. How cute! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I so wish I had woodpeckers in my yard. I will always remember the first time I had to recite a poem in school... I was first grade, and this was my poem.

    "The Woodpecker pecked out a little round hole and made him a home in the telephone pole."

    Thanks for the wonderful pictues, and for the memory of my 1st grade poem.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a delightful story! The baby woodpecker is so adorable and your photos and video are wonderful How much fun it is to watch these beautiful little birds!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great pictures of some cute birds :)
    Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the story of your sweet little garden friend
    animals can always tell good people
    wonderful photos and videos

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful garden companion! I'm very envious. We have Downy woodpeckers year round here in middle Missouri. They're feeding out of my hummingbird feeders now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! A young woodpecker spends time with you? Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These photos are so entertaining!!! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cracking shots and lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
  33. So sweet. Catching up With ABC.

    Daredevil Diva
    Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  34. My wife and I love all our feeder visitors too.

    Wonderful captures Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I too share your joy in being amongst the backyard visitors.....your pix and video of the babies are priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh I love the little downy and I can see that you are using the suet dough which is so much safer for the birds to eat in the summer..One thing I forgot to tell you is that because it is dough, it will get moldy if it gets wet..that is the only thing. I cover my feeder with a plastic baffle to get it dry.. Love the videos too...summer is such a wonderful time of year..take care..Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful photos . How nice to share a bird family.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments here..I try to get to most of your sites. It is a wonderful thing to be able to share my world with you all and to get your responses on my work.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Please do not link in a comment, I have to then delete as there is too much spam going on.
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS