Welcome to the Island Rambles Blog

Hi my name is Nora and Welcome to my blog world. This is a nature and birding photo blog about Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada. I am trying to be a birder and I take photos of the birds and scenery I find. I hope you enjoy your time here and please come back again. PHOTOS WILL ENLARGE IF CLICKED. The photos are slide show enabled if you click on them. If you click on the top lighthouse photo it always takes you to the most recent summary list of my postings.

copyright

©all rights reserved on all images and text, contact me if you want a photo.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Crabbing and Caspian Terns

Caspian Terns on Sidney Spit, B.C. Canada...they are so much fun and make such a racket. You can hear them long before you see them. They make a loud throaty call.  Raaaaa....ck.
There were a lot of small needle fish in the bay and in the shore pools and they were feasting on them. It was a wonderful hot summer day with very low tide and I had to walk way out on the beach to get these shots. I was so far out there no one could see me anymore. I liked the feeling of the wind and the sound of the waves and the birds. There were no people out there and I love to experience being part of nature and just having wildlife around me.  So I just stayed there for a long, long time.  I only really feel my true self when I am alone, far away and surrounded by wild things. I had to go back or Captain Ron would leave without me.


O.K. I am not sure what these shorebirds are...I call them peeps because they make a little peeping sound, very sweet, but I think they are the spotted sandpiper perhaps.  They were very unconcerned about me and ran around close by my feet.  In order to get to the spot far out, I had to walk in tidepools up over my knees, in sandals through the eelgrasses! What we don't do to get a shot. Also the tide came in around me!
 
All right, we live on the seashore and we eat crabs, fish and seafood. However, in this case, I don't feel I need to put a warning on the video, most people eat crabs. If you don't like to see crabs or fishing then don't watch. There are strict regulations on what crabs, fish and seafood you can keep and we abide by them. 
You will not see the videos if you subscribe, for some reason I don't think they show up on email or subscribe.  Thank you so much for subscribing by email and by feed, I really am so happy to have you read this blog.
These crabs were put back into the sea.  They were females and not for keeping. The boaters are spot checked to see that they follow regs. You will hear Captain Ron talk about crabs.

Here is the dock at Sidney Spit, B.C. Canada. It is a little island off of Sidney, B.C.  I like to go there early in the summer when there are no boats.  Now it is full of boats. (and too many people).

There will be two videos below if I manage to embed them.  One is on Caspian Terns and the other is on Crabbing but it is not upsetting I don't think, even if you are fond of crabs.

Thank you to these memes for allowing bloggers to share their story.  I may not remember to enter them all but I still list them as this is the quick way for me to do it. I am doing "C" at ABC Wednesday with Crabbing and Caspian Terns and am very thankful for all the memes below and I thank anyone who comments on my blog. I will reply to any comments. 

The Bird D'pot
Our World Tuesday
Sweet Shot Tuesday
Tuesday Tweets
ABC Wednesday
Nature Notes Wednesday
Outdoors Wednesday
Wild Bird Wednesday







edit note:  I sometimes have to republish after I see how many errors I made or links not working.  I list all the memes for the week now as I can only spend a short time on the computer as my eyes get tired. Such is life. To continue reading posts you must click older post below or see the index at the top or the side or pick a popular post or label from the sidebar.

I will try to embed two videos here. If your flash player is not up to date or if your computer is really slow, videos will not work well for you.













19 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I love sea birds and can watch them for hours as they flit around on the beach. This would be a great post even if it was just photos, but the addition of your narrative makes it more than that.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvelous captures and such a wonderful post for the day! I do love the birds!! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos this week? Superb!!! What a treat to see such beautiful scenes like you shared. Personally, I think there is nothing better than shore birds...but that's my opinion. Tho, I tend to get very excited over land birds also.

    Your post this week is excellent. Thanks for linking up at the Bird D'Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love crabs!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post and I love the Tern shots. They are a favorite of mine. The crabs look big for females. Great shots and thanks for sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great series, I get this feeling of life along the coast when I view them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always fun to watch your videos. I get to see a part of the world I would miss otherwise! Love the photos of the terns - but it was really fun to hear them on the video! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there - great shots of the Caspians - we get them here as well.

    At least your waders may have some breeding colour - we only get them in non-breeding plumage!

    Stewart M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice photos, the crab is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful bird shots! the crab is huge! female crabs are more expensive here than the male. when i see a crab, all i can think of is crab in chili garlic sauce! LOL

    My World

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect and interesting post for the letter C.
    Beautiful shots of the birds and water. It looks like a place I would like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love crabs! Catching up with ABC.

    C is for...Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the videos too. I love..love the ocean, but I get so sea-sick that I am a beach person only now. Love the birds. We have an occasional sand piper stop here on the pond from time to time.. Thank you for linking up to Nature Notes Nora...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots and videos! This beach looks like the beaches I saw in Australia, I miss the crocs(not really!!)
    Have a great day!
    Wil, ABC Team.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the seaside shots!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your visit and kind comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nora how wonderful to live near the ocean and eat seafood especially crab...what a peaceful natural setting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some great shots of shore birds Nora and I have never seen a Caspian Tern.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for all these wonderful notes and comments to me, they make a great addition to my post and will remain there with my post forever.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog on Vancouver Island Nature and Birds.
I love to take photos of places we go to on Vancouver Island and the birds and animals we see.
I love also to get comments so please leave a note for me.
Cheers and thanks again. Nora
Comment moderation is on so the comment does not publish right away.
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A LINK IN THE COMMENT ANYMORE THE WORLD OF BLOGGING HAS CHANGED AND THERE ARE TOO MANY SPAMMERS OUT THERE. I AM SORRY BUT THAT IS THE WAY IT IS NOW.

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS

CONTINUE READING PREVIOUS POSTS